Thursday, February 12, 2004

I thought of another class to add...How to survive being a widow and not yet 30. My friend from High School's husband was killed last week. He was a state trooper who, on his way to a robbery, slid on black ice, hit a utility pole and was killed. He and Denise had dated for 2 years, but had only been married 6 months.

I know it's a bit of a downer way to start a blog, but it leads me to a point all my faithful readers of "the blog" may have forgotten...it SUCKS to be single in February! Valentine's day this and Hearts, flowers and candy that. I know I am a bit sensitive to the fact I am still single, but please. Do I need two months of throwing it in my face that love is all around, but no romantic love here? No. I do not. I am sure I am not the only single person in America who feels this way! How do you answer the "What are you doing for Valentine's Day? (or Got any special plans for Valentine's Day?)" and ignore the look of pity in the asker's eyes when you say nothing (or in my case, I'm cleaning my room, vaccuming and writing letters)? It's just a big red "L" hanging over your head all day - while all the shmoopy people shmoop around.

Now, being allergic to Valentine's Day (seriously, I don't know if it's the flowers, or perfumy smell of cards, but something in the valentine's displays in store triggers sneezing fits in me! :) ), I have never been a big "oh let's celebrate" person when I am dating someone. (Which, isn't often) The first Valentine's Day I was "attached" I wasn't quite as adverse to Valentine's Day. I was, however, a bit disappointed that I made dinner, we ate, he left to study and I sat downstairs cutting out mathmaticians with my friends. The only other Valentine's day where I was in a relationship which resembled together, again, the morning of Valentine's day I had no plans and was a bit disappointed. Around noon, I got a phone call and we were off to dinner. There had been a plan, there were reservations, but I was not upset when the second part of our reservations fell through and we headed home to watch the ESPY's (my request! :) ). Even though I am not a big "let's celebrate" person, it IS nice to be reminded from time to time how much you matter and are important in your significant other's life. Valentine's Day or not.

I like the story of St. Valentine and am glad we celebrate a man who, laws be darned, joined lovers together. A true believer in love. Maybe what we would today call a romantic. A person who believed finding your soulmate was rare and shouldn't be thwarted by anything. "That which God brings together, let no man put asunder." Or something like that. Do we really need him crammed down our throat? Can't we observe him, like we observe the President's and just have big sales at department stores and car lots? I don't think St. Valentine would be thrilled with the unintentionally "singling" out of all the people who have not found their soulmate, or who are not joined with them. It goes against what he fought for - to not manipulate love.

Does today's society punish/look down upon us for being single?

Don't ask me. The whole thing makes me sneeze. :)

No comments: