Thursday, April 11, 2002

Happy first-day-of-the-Masters! Another ESPN game mom has roped me (and Hank, and Amy, and AJ, and Dad) into. And I keep playing...even though I haven't won!

Speaking of golf, when's it gonna get warm so I can wear my fun plaid pants? Yes. You heard me correctly I have bought a pair of cute green, aqua, and white plaid capris. Wal-Mart. Now, I just want a fun day of golf to wear them! Hard to do when you have 60 degree days. What's the point of being unemployed when it's not warm enough for golf or the beach? At least if I'm home everyday, I should be getting tan! :) I decided to prostitute myself out and called the temp agency Jill's been working for to apply. Turns out, they have no jobs. I'm gonna go in anyway and leave my resume. Maybe they'll come up with something. It leaves me thinking...all that schooling and no qualifications? Aren't I good enough? Isn't having a smart, loyal, hardworking employee important enough to take a chance on me? I've decided...it's a Philly thing.

This bring me to Jeremiah Trotter. For you non-Eagles fans, Jeremiah is a defensive linebacker in Philly. He's a two time, if not more Pro-Bowl-er. Jeremiah has been the source of heated sports controversy in Philly. (when isn't there Sports controversy in Philly?) The Eagles offered him a deal - Franchise tag, 5.515 Million dollars, one year.
"YEA!" said the fans. "Super Bowl!" said the fans.

Jeremiah's agent scoffed. "Play for Philly?" said the agent. "TRADE!" said the agent. "More money, more security." said the agent.

"Off with his head!" said the fans. "Put it on the wall with J.D. Drew" said the fans!

Out came Jeremiah. "Take the deal." said Jeremiah. "I want to play in Philly." said Jeremiah. "I love the city. I love the fans."

"Balk at our deal?" said the owners. "NO DEAL!" said the owners.

Poor Jeremiah. Poor Philly. "All I wanted to do was to lead this team to the Super Bowl. I was very loyal to them. They weren't very loyal to me." "Do they not think I'm worth the money?" They say I'm the heart of the defense, then treat me like a nobody.

It is hard to say who's right...but I'll get to that in a minute. On to a heartfelt tug-of-war....Scott Rolen.

Some of you may know, Scott was supposed to be part of the family. My mom had it all worked out. We were to be married. Why? "Because you both like baseball." Ah yes, the cornerstone of a great marriage. Baseball. But, this cornerstone of a great marriage is exactly why I find it so hard to root against him in this season of Rolen controversy in Philly. Scott has done the unthinkable. He has shunned Philadelphia! I was so upset. There were so many things I liked about him. (Not as many as Mom, however) Then, I began reading. It turns out, Scott shunned Philly for the spirit of baseball and competition. So, now I'm confused. We all knew Scott and Larry (Bowa, the manager) didn't get along. So when the rumors began that he wasn't coming back, it was assumed to be the reason.

"Don't Go!" said the fans! "Save him!" said the fans. "Offer him money. MAKE HIM STAY!" said the fans.

"Yes!" said the owners! "Money!" said the owners. "Only we don't spend money? Oh the quandry. But yes, yes, we will keep him! Don't want to end up like Montreal!" said the owners. "Here's $140 million. Stay! Make us Look good!"

"YEA!" said the fans! "For once our cheapskate owners of teams did the right thing!" "World Series!" said the fans! We all could've cried. Then we did.

"No." said Scott.

"GASP!" said everyone everywhere. "Off with his head!" said the Philly fans. "Put it on the wall next to J.D. Drew!" said the fans!

"It's always been about principles first for me. All I've told them (Phillies ownership) is that I want the same commitment from them that they expect from me and from my teammates. And those principles -- let's just say they don't have a price tag on them." sadi Scott. "I'm a (bleeping) idiot for not taking the money. A well-documented idiot" said Scott.

"Hmmm?" sadi the fans. "Prinicples?" said the fans. "Loyalty to the sport and winning and commitment and your beliefs over....MONEY?" said the fans. "Are you sure you're an athlete?!?" said the fans. But we all knew he was.

And me? I swelled with pride. And teared with sadness. I would miss him. My excitement at Phillies games wouldn't be the same. Our guys are WONDERFUL! All of them, but we're very young. We need some leadership. Maybe...say...a GOLD GLOVE...to help the young ones along. But, how can you begrudge a guy his principles and beliefs? Mom has lost interest in him due to her own disappointment. First, I tried to tell Mom, I was interested in someone else. ("Mom, but he likes baseball!" "Yes, but he's an ass.") Then, Mike disappointed her. ("Mike, when you talk to Wolf, make sure you introduce Jenn to Rolen so they can get married!" No intro! Bad Mike! :) ) And lastly, the straw and the camel...Scott got married this summer. ("And he didn't even tell me!") So, when everyone was up in arms about Scott Rolen leaving the Phillies, Mom didn't care. She has J-Roll, Pat the Bat, and Wolf to watch. Jimmy (J-Roll) impressed everyone at the All-Star game with his maturity and poise for a rookie. Pat can hit the ball far far into Philadelphia land. And well, Mike knows Wolf, so he immed. become like family. And you can't root against family. :)

What it comes down to in each case is loyalty. Where does your loyalty lie? And who to believe. Scott knew what he believed. He wanted to win. Not just once, with great teammates and a coach he bumps heads with, but consistently. So, when he tells his grandkids he played with the Phils they look at him with reverence -as if he'd said Yankees. He spoke with his teammates. They understand. They forgive him. Wish him well. The fans? Well, it depends on your view. As a Phillies fan, I don't understand. Saty. Please. Help us build a club around you that inspires greatness. Stay. Make the owners consistently commit to winning. But, if anything (and I may never admit this again), I am a bigger fan of the sport...and principles. I understand. Baseball is a game built on history. Americana. Look around. New ballparks are being built to resemble the old ones. The most revered players in baseball (to a true fan) are still the Yogis, Teds, Joes and Robertos of the old days. The competitive drive and the will to win; the love of the sport; and the steadfastness to your beliefs. These are cornerstones of a great player AND a great person.

Poor Jeremiah. I had a friend who was drafted into the NFL. He hired and agent and headed to camp. His agent didn't like the offers on the table. Kept holding out for more. He was sure, Tommy could get more. Meanwhile camp started, and Tommy was on the sidelines...waiting for his contract. "All I want to do is play." Part of me fears this happens alot. Agents convince their client this is what he's worth. "Yeah." he says "I'm worth it. They owe me!" The team says "We can find someone else cheaper to do what you do." "No." says the player. "I want to stay here." "Hahaha." says the team. NO DEAL! I feel bad for Jeremiah. In this story, everone wants to be the good guy. And in some light, everyone is...except Jeremiah. The agent can brag to his agent friends he was doing his job. Negotiating. The owners can say "Look fans, if someone doesn't want to play her, we can find someone else. We're that good." And fans being fans, swell with pride and ego about their team and agree. (Doesn't anyone remember the bad years? :) ) The only person who loses is Jeremiah. He doesn't have is money OR his team. Hopefully, for him, he goes somewhere and does well.

Loyalty is such a strong part of me. (I think it's the Lion thing! ;) I'll walk miles, uphill in the snow, barefoot (got that from my dad! :) ) to help someone I care about. But, show me your lack of commitment to me and NO DEAL! ;) I'll yank it off the table just to spite you. Some people I hold out for more than others. Those who have proven their loyalty time and time again can say I piss them off, or date their roommate then show total disregard for me and my feelings, or not get involved when I see they are involved for the "other side" and I take it. Why? Because when I need them, they are there. It takes stronger actions, and more time for me to turn against my loyalty and "Put your head on the wall with J.D. Drew". But when I do, the hurt and rage I feel is just as strong as my loyalty was.

So, Good Luck Scotty! I will come watch you play and cheer you on all season! You have shown your loyalty to "me" (well, us...but I know it's really just to me, remember?). You are standing up for your beliefs and showing your commitment and love for baseball by continuing to work hard every day and play hard! (The walk-off homer in the 11th to win last night didn't hurt either!) Jeremiah, find your loyalty and stick with it! Is it the team or money? I've got to know whether to cheer you on or relegate you to the likes of Kobe and J.D. ;)

As for me, I think I'll stay unemployed a little longer. While I may have taken the first step toward prositution (so to speak), I just can't give up completely. Janeen Garafalo - The Gap will never have me! I have to hold out hope MY prinicples are right. Right now, it's the only hope I've got left. Hey. I hear there's an opening at 3rd base for the Phils next year! I've got prinicples. Maybe even 140 million of them! :)

No comments: